Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shady 2.0 Cypher Beat

Sadly, a lot of folks don't know what the instrumental used in the Shady 2.0 Cypher was. It's a 12" single from East Flatbush Project feat. Des called "Tried by 12." The record was independently released in 1996 on a label called 10/30 Uproar Records and was produced by Spencer Bellamy. When we were preparing for the cypher, I was messing around on my laptop playing random mp3's and Em overheard the beat and yelled "yo, ask them if we can rap on THAT!" So I did, and our good friend DJ Premier obliged. The record's instrumental was a favorite in the Detroit battle scene back in the day, and I consider it a classic. Check out the song and video below.

4 comments:

Vanilllove said...

Feeling wiser because of this information. Thank You Mr. Paul!
Anja, Anna

Mama Spade said...

Thanks for sharing this! I was a DJ in the 90s and remembered the beat but could not, for the life of me, think of the song and artist. It was bugging me. Shady rode it! #RealTalk

Anonymous said...

"Yo, ask them if we can rap on THAT".

-Em

grge said...

haha, someone has to educate the new school.