Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cameron Maybin




This weekend, Friday and Saturday, some good friends set us up with some great tickets for the Tigers/Yankees games at Yankee Stadium. Let me start off by saying that although I enjoy baseball, I'm not the hugest fan of the sport. Yeah, I played little league back in the day (shout out to the '79 N.F.W.B. Twins), and collected cards like a madman (before you ask, I sold them all in '90 to my freshman roommate for $600 or so and bought a drum machine). But as an adult, I really spend most of my dedication in pro-sports to football and basketball.

That being said, I don't pass up on a great opportunity to see a great game if I can make it- especially when its an important series like this in the Bronx and we have front row seats next to the third base line near the dugout. Also, I'm a 300 pound man and I like beer, hot dogs and peanuts. The extra special part of these 2 games that we got to see was the pro-debut of the Tigers' Cameron Maybin, as well as his first major league homer. Although Cam didn't fair that well against Andy Pettitte, in his second pro game he smacked one out of the park against 45 year old Roger Clemens (20 years his senior, Maybin is only 20 years old). That's quite a way to be induced into the pros- Yankee Stadium against two seasoned veteran pitchers.

Keep an eye out for this guy, an insider told me that the Tigers consider him a big part of their future. Cam can hit, home run, and steal bases. Now, as for the Tigers going 1 for 4 against the Yanks when they needed the wins, that's another story...

2 comments:

rafi said...

"in his second pro game he smacked one out of the park against 45 year old Roger Clemens (20 years his senior, Maybin is only 20 years old)"

You may want to check your math there....

Yeah Maybin has gotten lots of hype in fantasy baseball circles. Unfortunately I lost out him in both of my keeper leagues. Oh well at least I got Joba Chamberlain.

Unknown said...

NFWB sucks. Cam should be a great one though.